Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mission Call


I was up at the cabin all last week with my sister. John brought up a large envelope on Friday evening. After we got the family on the phone via a conference call we opened the envelope. We are going to the Russia Rostov-na-Donu Mission and we enter the MTC on Feb. 9, 2009.


I just kept saying "Oh my gosh!" and others responses have varied from "Wow", "How exciting", complete silence, and a whole bunch more "Oh my goshes".

Friday before 5:30 PM we had never heard of this place in Russia and now we are trying to find out all we can about it!!

We do know that it is in the South of Russia off the Black Sea. It is the same latitude as France. In some photos we saw palm trees which is good. Lisa is directing me towards missionary blogs and other info, so little by little we are finding things out.

A couple in our stake called this afternoon and said that is where they served about 10 years ago and they loved it.

We printed off the Cyrillic Alphabet and are trying to memorize it. John will call the MTC tomorrow to see about tutoring.

We are shocked, nervous, scared, excited and grateful!! We look forward to serving in this part of the Lord's vineyard.

Even if your response is "Oh, my gosh!" please write a comment.

11 comments:

Silver Back said...

We are so excited for you. It will be a lot of fun to learn all about Russia and the people through your eyes.

Congratulations! We will miss you so much, but the people in Russia are truly lucky to have you in their lives for a little while.

Can't wait to see you both in your furry Russian hats.

Angela said...

Wow!! I had a feeling it was going to be far away! Looking forward to hearing about this place in Russia...such commitment...way to serve!!

Amy said...

I am still processing the information! The thought of you living so far away is so foreign to me. I am going to be super selfish and tell you I am going to miss you soooo much! When you read "Russia" on the phone, I immediately cried. Tears of great joy and happiness.... and tears of missing you all ready! It is amazing the wide range of emotions in such a short time.

I am so happy for you both! What an adventure!!! I know you will be such a blessing in so many other people's lives. In about 2 years.... the Russian people you have met will feel the same way I do when you leave.

Love you!!!

Conner said...

Hay Grandma and Grandpa.I heard you are going to Russia. I guessed that place and Tennessee.I'm soo sad that you are leaving what are we going to do without you guys. I know Russia will love you.

Stocky-Tony said...

I can't believe your going to russia!
stockton

melanie said...

Congratulations you guys!! I think that is so very exciting....

Grandma Cantrell said...

John & Joyce,
We are so excited for you! What an exciting place. With the special talents you both have, you will a valuable tool for the Lord in that part of his vineyard.

I just reread that and it sounds a little schmalzy, but it is the way I feel about you both, so I am just going to leave it that way.

I am so looking forward to hearing everything and will make this blog one of my regular stops.

Love you so much, even after - let's see now - 43 years! My life and BYU were never the same.

Good luck!
Rosemary & Bill

Connie said...

I'm just jealous that those Russianians will get you for a while! They're so lucky! So, since PG is about as far away as Russia, I hope we do get to have a reunion!

Love you TONS! Connetra

Maggie said...

I wonder how you say "RAH" in Russian! A dear friend and her husband just returned from their second mission. They said instead if thinking of LEAVING their family, they should remember they're LEADING their family.

Why not a Russian Roomie Reunion? It is so allerative!

I think we're all feeling the same emotions you are....but know you'll bless the Russian saints as you do all of us!
Love you,
MA

Megan said...

Amazing!!!!! I still can't believe it!!

SJ said...

Thanks to Amy we found your blog! We didn't even know your papers were in!!! Congratulations! We look forward to following your adventure via your blog. love,
Scott and Sasha